Wednesday, June 8, 2011

"Miss"-adventures

TITLE: My Misadventures as a Teenage Rock Star

AUTHOR: Joyce Raskin

REVIEWED BY: Cleggy

BRIEF SUMMARY: "Rock ’n’ roll isn’t just about sex and drugs. It’s about self-expression, lasting friendships, and self-empowerment. That’s what Alex learns after she starts playing bass for a rock band in this almost true story. Joyce Raskin, author and musician, culls from her memories to create this funny, touching, and honest look at what it’s like to be a teenager, a girl, and a rock star all at the same time.

Also included are a note from the author, instructions on how to play basic guitar chords, advice on songwriting, and more!" (Summary from the publisher)

WHY I PICKED IT UP: I like music. Books about music, movies about music, music in general. I just finished Five Flavors of Dumb (which I really enjoyed) and had watched Lemonade Mouth, so I was up for another music book.

WHY I FINISHED IT: This is going to sound horrible, but -- because I felt I had to. This was an advance reading copy through NetGalley and I can't review what I didn't finish. Had I been reading this for pleasure, I probably would have given up about halfway through.

WHO I'D GIVE IT TO: Maybe reluctant, younger teenage girl readers.

ADDITIONAL NOTES/WARNINGS: I didn't really care for this book. Granted, as a 37-year-old man, I'm hardly the target audience (although I loved Five Flavors of Dumb and Bandslam is one of my favorite movies). But it seems to me that the author had a hard time figuring out who this book was supposed to be for. Alex is 14, but she narrates the story as if she's much younger. The first-person narration irritated me, and it was all written in short sentences, almost like an outline that never got fleshed out.

Events just happen out of nowhere. Alex is sitting with her brother and his best friend, Todd. Suddenly she's in Todd's band and her brother offers to teach her bass guitar. The girl who couldn't figure out a hairstyle a few pages ago has a punk makeover and starts dating a skater boy who has never even noticed her before (he thinks she just transferred in from another state, a misconception she doesn't correct). She's playing in bars. She's writing songs. She's getting threats from juvenile delinquents. It's all too quick and all too unbelievable.

As far as addressing self-image and self-esteem issues, this does has a positive spin. It also deals with saying "no" to temptations that all teen girls face, so I give it a thumbs up for that. But all in all, I was underwhelmed and not really impressed by the writing or the story.

Again, I'm definitely not the target audience for this. It's been a long time since I was fourteen (and I've never been a girl). Maybe one of the girls out there can give it a more objective review.

Content warnings: some language and sex talk. Lots of references to dating, kissing, and body changes as a girl becomes a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment