Saturday, June 4, 2011

Rob&Sara.com

Is it possible to be best friends with someone you've never met?

After submitting a poem to an online message board for teen poets, Sara (or, Sara4348) meets Rob (Robcruise99), a mysterious character whose simple response of "I liked it" sticks out amidst a sea of wannabe critics who tear the poem apart and consequently tear Sara down.

After the initial message board comments, Sara and Rob begin exchanging e-mails. Their e-mail relationship leads to friendship, and friendship to "best"-friendship. As they learn more about each other, we in turn learn more about them. We genuinely begin to care about them, and where their relationship is headed.

Is Rob really a good guy, in spite of all the e-mails that Sara mysteriously begins receiving from others that call his character into question? And what about the fact that he's living in what is basically a juvenile detention center (even if it's called Pine Creek Academy)? What does this mean? Is he even a teenage boy at all?

The two authors, P.J. (Pete) Peterson and Ivy Ruckman, wrote the story one e-mail at a time, spending a year corresponding as their respective characters (Pete was Rob and Ivy was Sara). This lends the story an air of authenticity that might not be there if it had been written by one person.

All in all, this was a wonderful book that will keep you involved until the end... and hoping for a sequel.

1 comment:

  1. The first time I read this book I knew it would be one of those that I'd end up reading over & over throughout my life. I was right. I now own the e-book so that I can pop it onto my Sony e-Reader whenever I need a Rob&Sara.com fix. :)

    Thanks for once again broadening my reading horizons. :)

    ReplyDelete